Saturday, May 28, 2011

Kalmar Sweden?

I have just moved to Sweden, from UK. I find it very hard to make personal contact with anyone – they look away to avoid eye contact and the general everyday friendliness is just not here. It’s not a racial thing – I look more Swedish than alot of Swedes.

If someone bumps into you, they ignore you; if you give way to someone in the car they don’t acknowlege you; if my 3 year old speaks to someone at the supermarket they pretend they can’t see/hear him.

All the Swede’s I know are great – but it’s difficult to get to know them. The hostility of the general public is really getting me down – has anyone else experienced it? And does anyone have any tips on how to cope with it?

LionA – I have just read in a previous Answer that you used to live here? And your English speaking boyfriend felt isolated? I would love to talk to you about it


No comments:

Post a Comment