Thursday, June 9, 2011

My dad is ruining the image of what a husband should be. Paitence required to read?

My Dad and I don’t get a long whatsoever. We used to operate like a normal father and daughter would, but now I can’t stand being near him, let alone the same room. He doesn’t have a job, and hasn’t had a job for almost a year now, and I do understand that jobs are extremely hard to come by now. Yet there are a handful of companies in my area who are hiring people, like assistant store manager at a local store, or cashier at a supermarket, that my dad can qualify for. These jobs offer health insurance as well as stability and security, but my dad wants a job that he can boast about, something that requires working behind a desk and a title.

There are men out there busting their butts and taking any sort of position they can to help take care of their families, but no, my dad has an ego and just because “that’s how men are,” he gets away with it.

Now, if he can’t get a job, he should at least help us around the apartment. I live in an apartment, it’s not that hard to clean up an area. But no, my dad sits his butt home on the computer all day, talking to his friends and applying for jobs that he does not qualify for, and cooking food that goes to waste. And when all of the food is done, he doesn’t even get out of the house and go grocery shopping. He just sits home and doesn’t mention anything. Meanwhile, when I come home and I just want to eat a sandwhich before I start homework, still thinking that we still have some bread remaining from last week, I can’t because there is none. So when I ask him where the bread is, he says, "Oh, you guys have to buy. I forgot to." He has the car all day. He could have gone out to get groceries. When I ask him why he couldn't go out and buy some food, he says, "well, I don't know what you guys like. You know how you all are picky." That's his excuse. We are picky.

I am so sick and tired of my sister, my mother, and I having to pick up his slack. He doesn’t do anything because apparently “he’s just a man, that’s just how they are.” He doesn’t realize that his ego is tearing our family apart, and no matter how much my mother and I ask for help, he acts like it’s such a burden or doesn’t even bother to do anything at all.

I worry that ALL guys are like this, and because of that, I don’t want to be anywhere near dudes anymore. If they’re all like this, I want nothing to do with them. The thought of me being married to some lazy burden makes me pop a blood vessel almost every day already kills me. What example is he setting for me and my sister? Look at the image he’s giving us, a husband is a lazy man who expects everything yet does nothing. You can come home for 7 hours of work, and you’re supposed to do the housework too while your husband sits at home and does whatever he wants.

He's a bad role model for us, and I don't know what I can do about it. He's not going to change, he's not going to get some sort of gusto and BOTHER to even help us out. To me, he's just extra baggage. How should a husband act, and what can I do to make life easier for my mom?
I spelled patience incorrectly. I’m sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment